Saturday, January 30, 2010

Craziness and Hijinx!

Wow! I slept in on the wrong day. All my virtual friends are scrapping over this Macmillan vs. Amazon battle of giants.

Apparently, Macmillan wants Amazon to charge more for its ebooks. So Amazon got mad and pulled ALL of Macmillan's books. That includes Tor Books and St. Martin's Press - Robert Jordan and Janet Evanovich, respectively.

I would really love to weigh in on this more right this second, but unfortunately I have a gaggle of real friends who are going to be showing up at my house at any moment to go to a beer tasting this afternoon. I have to say, I would rather follow this debacle than go to a beer tasting at the moment, and I'm not sure if that makes me a hopeless loser or part grown-up. For now I'll just link to some of my favorite people's opinions.

Cory Doctorow at Boing Boing, who is published by Tor.

The Haydens at Making Light. This blog is run by Teresa and Patrick Nielson-Hayden, who are both editors at Tor. They often have Tor writers and other editors in their comment section, which is the best part of their blog (as they freely admit).

John Scalzi, another Tor author.

Agh! I have to get ready! I hope it will all be resolved by the time I get home. This is like Jerry Springer for publishing geeks like me.

1 comment:

  1. This kind of stuff between publishers and the eBook companies is going to be very interesting to watch as it plays out to some kind of ending where everyone gets hurt. I think you made the right choice with the beer because this story will be slow to develop.

    ReplyDelete